"There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't."

Rabindranath Tagore
Nobel Prize Winner for Literature 1913

May you be the first as I am! Warning: That may mean you fall flat on your face at times.

Saturday, March 14

Spring is in the air?

With the first day of Spring being the 20th of March this year we're looking forward to the warmer weather. Although it looks as if mother nature is making sure to get the cold weather in one way or another this year. We have a week of nice warmer weather only to have it turn cool again. We are getting ready to start our seeds since they are saying this will be our last cold spell. I decided this year to spend the money to purchase two Hanging Gardens from Sams this year. They don't have them on their website and I'm still looking for a link for them. I will add the link if I ever find one. If I can get the camera charged I will put a picture of them on here for everyone. They are nice since we will be able to put up to six plants hanging and then smaller plants on top. We'll be hanging tomatoes and cucumbers and we're not real sure what we'll be putting on top just yet. I decided this would be a good science project to add to the curriculum also. We'll be doing a simple journal made out of plain white paper folded in half with a piece of construction paper on the outside. The children can decorate the outside cover as they like, hopefully with some encouragement it will be themed towards a garden. Might have a princess added too since they are girls. Then we will be able to draw pictures and do our copy work on each page as the different stages of plants grow. I'm also considering doing a lapbook. A member of our homeschooling group was kind enough to show us these at our last meeting. I really like the idea of them. You can do a search for them and find lots of information on them. This may be better for our oldest child, I'm not sure if our youngest would have the patience for this. I may consider doing it as a group activity too. Since the youngest would like the cutting and pasting, the oldest the reading and finding of facts, and I could help with the writing since some of the areas to write in are small. One thing I find hard is there are so many really good ideas out there that I want to try them all sometimes. We've tried some things and although they are good ideas they just don't work for us so we put them aside and move on. We've also found that some things work for one of our girls but just isn't right for the other. I'm learning that sometimes pushing through just isn't a good idea. Learning is taking on a new meaning in this house, and we're loving it!

1 comment:

Tori said...

I've heard a lot about lapbooks, too. Aren't they neat! I'm hoping we'll be able to do a garden, too. Have to talk to landlord and Jess took the phone to work AGAIN! I'm SICK of that move!!!!