"There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't."

Rabindranath Tagore
Nobel Prize Winner for Literature 1913

May you be the first as I am! Warning: That may mean you fall flat on your face at times.

Thursday, March 19

The government's words not mine!

So there is a new report out that has the statistics of homeschoolers out and I thought that I would share it with you. Now mind you I'm not really one of those that listens to statistics since they can usually be manpulated in just about any direction if worded just right. And I have better things to do with my time that to try and figure out just exactly what they're saying. But I did find this one interesting merely because of an observation that I made when I went to the bookstore (will remain nameless cause it's not their fault) earlier the same day I seen the report. The report said that they estimate that there are 1.5 million homeschooled students in the States from the data collected. Now mind you I don't think that they included children like my next door neighbor who is homeschooled but uses the public school system to do it. If you look at the information it breaks down the numbers. But I digress (normal for me!) anyway it says that of those polled the number one reason for choosing to homeschool was the concern about the school environment. Now back to the bookstore, earlier I was looking "The Well-Trained Mind" at said bookstore so I could referance something in it and noticed that a number of the "teacher" books available were dealing with disipline issues. Normally I wouldn't notice something such as this really but there were such an overwelming number of them you couldn't help but notice. I think it's funny that it would take a huge panel of people to do a lot of data collecting (and wasting a lot of tax payers dollars to do it) to come up with a three page brief when all they really needed to do was walk into the same bookstore I did to find out the same information. With that number of books there it would seem that homeschoolers are not the only ones who are concerned with the school environment.

Okay so that has nothing to do with savings but I was wanting to share that with someone and hubby started to tune me out and actually fell asleep cause he's so tired! So on to my tip! I was wanting to do some finger painting with the girls and help reinforce letters and their sounds. So we went to check out finger paints and I about had heart failure at the cost of them. So instead we went over to the pudding aisle. We picked up strawberry (pink is favorite in our house with two girls), and chocolate (mommy's favorite) instead. They cost us thirty three cents each since they were a store brand and then mommy had a coupon for them too! We brought them home and did Home Economics (cooking) math, reading all in one with following the recipe. The we got out some Ziploc bags. We put about a cup of pudding into two of them and the rest went into containers in the fridge for snack later. Now we had two easy wipe boards that we could reuse and we didn't have the mess from finger paints. We took them outside and played around in the sunshine and wrote letters and numbers in them. Then of coarse as usually happens we started being silly and drew funny faces and other things too. A bird with a squirrel tail, or a big sister with a duck beak. Then the stories to go with them! Then it was time to go inside and have our snack, we had spent close to two hours playing with our pudding boards and they really needed thrown away.

Hope you find time to sunbath like us!

1 comment:

Tori said...

The 1.5 million actually sounds like it IS including public school at home families. My opinion, of course....

The sounds like a really fund finger painting activity. ^_^ You're so creative!

I actually thought, as I was reading it, that you were going to have the girls paint IN the pudding and then be able to eat it. Could work, too... perhaps not in the sun, though!

Love your blog!!! ^_^