"There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't."

Rabindranath Tagore
Nobel Prize Winner for Literature 1913

May you be the first as I am! Warning: That may mean you fall flat on your face at times.

Monday, May 18

Opps!

I can't believe it's been an entire month! So sorry I haven't wrote anything here lately. Everything is coming to an ending.....and then restarting again. One school year ends and another begins. Sicily's Kindergarten year is over and she started first grade as of Friday. Kyra's done with second grade and began third grade on Friday also. I've been so busy with putting together the curriculum for them so that they can work at their own paces I've lost a month. Along with that I got a garden plot, so I put that in along with my loving hubby. Only to have a storm knock down two trees into it two days later, lol. So we were getting rid of those right before he had to head off to ANOC (it's a school he needs for his rank in the army, to put it simply). Hubby went off to ANOC the day before mother's day and won't be back till July. We're hoping to go up for his graduation on July 22. My board year is ending so I have all of that going on as well. Of coarse a new one is starting right behind it though, lol. Both the girls are taking golf this summer. They have two weeks off lessons and assessments then the rest of the time will be practice. So we'll be at the golf coarse nearly all summer long. At least I'll be able to get a break when I sleep at night, lol. Oh well, we're having fun at it!

I guess I don't really have a way of helping out thrifty wise this time. Oh I know, instead of using your milk that you drink with for cooking use powdered milk instead. In most cases you can't tell the difference. If you use soy, almond, or another form of substitute milk check into powders for those also. They have them, you may just need to look a little harder, like ordering them online. The cost adds up. My kids prefer the powdered milk on their cereal but I don't like it in pudding, or ice cream. I prefer to use it only in things that will get cooked. I use it in Mac-N-Cheese, or baking and no one ever knows the difference and I save anywhere from $0.50 to over $1.00 per gallon. There's a lot less waste since you can make only what you need and the powder is shelf stable. If you're going to drink it or use it cold make it at least 24 hours in advance so it can chill well in the fridge.

1 comment:

Tori said...

good ideas. My Mom used to mix the chilled dry milk in with a partially empty jug of whole milk (when no one was looking). As long as it was mostly whole milk, no one could tell the difference. :)