"There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't."

Rabindranath Tagore
Nobel Prize Winner for Literature 1913

May you be the first as I am! Warning: That may mean you fall flat on your face at times.

Wednesday, April 1

Herbs!

I admit I like the convenience of the dried herbs in the store. I don't like the price sometimes. And I'll admit that I'm a parsleyholic! I love parsley. I know some people say it doesn't have a taste. I agree if you buy the cruddy stuff that's grown in the hothouses, or the dried stuff it's cruddy and it takes a lot to be able to obtain even a little bit of taste. But parsley that that has been grown out in the fresh air, warm sun, and cool dirt is completely different! Then you have all the varieties(link says more than 30 different types): Hamburg parsley, parsley bush, Italian parsley, and even a toxic plant called "fool's parsley" but it isn't a parsley at all only looks like it. Then is has many common names such as parsley breakstone, garden parsley, rock parsley, persely, and petersylinge. There are many uses that parsley can be used for both internally (although pregnant woman shouldn't use it at all and limit handling since it's been proven to induce uterine contractions, I missed it greatly during both of my pregnancies and those with kidney problems should use caution also due to it's ablitity to increase blood flow to the kidneys) and externally. Check out the link by click this parsley. There are basically two type of parley when you come down to it: those with curly fringed leaves and those with flat leaves. The most common type of parsley that most cooks prefer to use is Italian parsley with the flat leaves. That is what I prefer for everything. The taste is more earthy to me where the curled parsley has a much milder taste and has a bit of bitter taste to me, although I do like to add a bit of that to tea because for some reason the bitterness seems to be lost. Hence the reason I grow it every summer and try to continue in it the house. (Only for some reason when a plant comes in my house it's a death sentence for it.)

I put it in everything too. Chicken, fish, pork, beans, lentils, beef, salads, soups, tea, vegetables, casseroles, sauces, and I'll eat it fresh from the garden just cause I can. So yesterday I grabbed two of my large flower pots and planted my herbs. In the first pot I placed a bamboo rod (cut to fit) so that I could see where it would be split for Chives and Oregano. And then....... the other has all Italian parsley. I put in an entire package of seeds! Yes I know please don't tell me it was way to many (I got the look from hubby so I know) but just think of everything I can do with the thinnings! You can do this in much smaller pots and many people grow them right in the kitchen windows, and around the house in other windows. I simply can't seem to grow anything in a house except kids and our marriage! And that's fine by me, fourteen years and our two miracles soon so we must be doing something right.

So tomorrow the last bag of potting soil goes into little rectangle pots (found at the dollar tree last fall for 25 cents a piece) that can be moved around to where we need the protection from our marigolds! I only wish that I could of found the French Marigolds instead of the African Marigolds since the French ones are much stronger, check out the link for more information on that. But they are very difficult to find for some reason. Many bugs like the African Marigold also (not stated in the article just an observation) but it still keeps them off my plants!
So with a troupe of neighborhood kids, dirt, pots, and seeds they'll get started! And some mommies will have dirty, but tired kids!

Make a mess with yours this week too.

1 comment:

Tori said...

So glad to read that you'll have lots of the herbs you enjoy. ^_^ It's awesome to read about another gardener loving her work.