"There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't."

Rabindranath Tagore
Nobel Prize Winner for Literature 1913

May you be the first as I am! Warning: That may mean you fall flat on your face at times.

Thursday, October 8

One pot meals.

I love cookbooks. Very rarely do I ever actually make the recipes in them. I usually use them as inspiration for a new meal. While looking through a cookbook I may see a chicken recipe and think chicken sounds good. Then I'll see a roast recipe and in my mind I'll think rotisserie, mmmm. From there more ingredients are added from different pictures or recipes in the book and before I know it I'm craving rotisserie chicken that's got garlic, walnuts, baby onions and oranges crammed inside. So off to the store I run because I don't have any of that stuff, lol. I'm looking through a cookbook I have to actually do a recipe with the children for a cooking class. It's suppose to be one pot meals only when you start looking they're really not. To me a one pot meal means that you only need one pot. Or at least one item in which to cook the meal. But once you start looking into the recipes and the instructions you need one pan to braise, a bowl to mix ingredients, a dish to marinate overnight, one for on top of the range for sauce but another in the oven or any number of different things. I can kind of understand maybe understand a bowl to mix some ingredients, I can understand needing a cutting board or some other items in order to prep ingredients. But when I here one pot meal, I think you are basically need one pot to cook the meal. So I would like to share my one pot meal with you. This is one of the meals that I only cook when we are in the middle of moving. I pack one pot with us and I will use it to cook in during the time we are moving. I have over the years developed a number of meals that can be cooked from start to finish in the one pot and not need another. This recipe has been shared with our unit for the cookbook to help with fundraising. I hope you all enjoy it as much as we do.

Moving Pot Potato Soup

1-3 potatoes (peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes, approximately 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup Stock or broth (enough to cover potatoes)
1/4 cup cream (milk can be used instead just won't be as creamy)
1/4 cup cheese (shredded so it will melt easier)

In your pot put your potatoes and stock. Bring it to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Mash potatoes in the stock. Add cream and cheese. You can add more stock or cream if you like a thinner soup.

Serves: 1 (simply multiply by the number of family members for more)

I have caramelized some onions and garlic before making this for a bit of a change. We have added a dollop of sour cream and topped with bacon bits or chives too. Let this be a base to start and have fun.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice recipe but darn, I wonder how long it would take me to finish cooking this. I'm currently using an electric stove, not one of those power save products.

Mama Mezzo said...

Times can vary depending on your stove. But on average I would say look at about 30 to 45 minutes depending on how long it takes to peel the potatoes, and to bring things up to a boil. I've even made this over a camp fire, although that did take about an hour cause the coals weren't as hot as I had thought.