"There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't."

Rabindranath Tagore
Nobel Prize Winner for Literature 1913

May you be the first as I am! Warning: That may mean you fall flat on your face at times.

Wednesday, June 24

Updated the list!

WOW!! Thank you so much for all your wonderful help on the list. Although some asked not to have comments posted I did add your ideas. Then added some from friends here too. Hope to have more to add. But with 30 so far I think its a bit obvious that children, who are homeschooled or otherwise are socialized all the time. We don't lock our kids in a closet! Are some kids in more things than others? Sure but aren't kids who go to public schools the same. Not all the kids in public school are in sports. I went to public school, the entire time I was in I did one year of color guard and then ended up sick and only did the summer camp and two events. Am I damaged because I wasn't forced to participate in something I would of hated? No and I don't think that homeschooled children are either. If a child has an interest in something I hope that they are able to explore that, and it doesn't matter where they are schooled. So the next time you ask a kid what they learned at school and they reply, "Nothing", just remember that's what a large number of children reply no matter where they are schooled. Go and enjoy one of those boardgames you have hidden in the closet and remember what it was like to just be a kid who could play!


No comments: